thefleet...
Main The Fleet Ships of The Fleet  LOCH SEAFORTH

 LOCH SEAFORTH

Gaelic Name: N/A
 SHIPS LINKS:

HISTORY
SHIPS CREW
 USUAL ROUTE:
Mallaig - Kyle - Stornoway
 
 Picture: At Mallaig, (Postcard)
 DETAILS
Type: Steel TSMV
Callsign: 
IMO: 
MMSI: 
Built: 1947
Launched: 5/19/1947
Acquired: 
Entered Service: 06/12/1947
Disposed: 1973
Ordered By: David MacBrayne Ltd.
Cost: 
Registered: Glasgow
Launched by: 
Named after: A sea loch dividing Lewis and Harris
 DIMENSIONS
Length: 229.4'
Draught: 11.2'
Breadth: 36.1'
Gross tonnage: 1126
 CAPACITIES
Passengers: 
Cars: 16
Crew: 
Lifeboats (Number of): 
 TECHNICAL
Builders: William Denny & Brothers, Dumbarton
Yard No: 1404
Engine Builders: Sulzer Bros Ltd Winterthur
Machinery: 2 x 6-cylinder Sulzer two-stroke diesels, 1,800 bhp at 235 rpm, twin 3-blade screws
Speed: 15 kts
Hoist & Lifts: 2 x Derricks (Use also to hoist cars)
 FACILITIES

Key to Symbols
 REMARKS
In 1949 LOCH SEAFORTH became the first member of the MacBrayne fleet to be fitted with radar; and after her loss in 1973 she remains the only STG or Caledonian MacBrayne ship to have been written off whilst on passenger service.
 ROUTE TIMELINE
1947 - 1972: Mallaig - Kyle of Lochalsh - Stornoway
1972 - 1973: Oban - Coll - Tiree - Castlebay - Lochboisdale


All material on this site Ships of CalMac 2001 - 2017, unless otherwise stated.
Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Join us on Flickr View us on YouTube SoC AIS SoC Forum Site NOT linked to Official Company
This site is NOT connected to the Official Company Site - www.calmac.co.uk
Contact Us
Read our Privacy Policy