Ships of the Fleet
launched as COLONSAY, this little craft barely qualifies as a member of the STG / CalMac fleet – she was sold off while 1969 was only a few days old – and even G E Langmuir records virtually nothing about her.
She was one of two flitboats built for David MacBrayne Ltd in 1951 by John Barr & Sons (Craigendoran) Ltd., at their Dumbarton yard; the previous year they had supplied flitboats for Iona and Staffa. It is reasonable to assume that like IONA (V) and STAFFA (VI), COLONSAY had a Kelvin J-2 engine. Her
name revived that of a very early (1834) paddle steamer in the West Highlands and COLONSAY was of course stationed at the eponymous island.
When a pier was built at Scalasaig, Colonsay, the launch was in 1965 transferred to Eriskay and was appropriately renamed; there she tendered to CLAYMORE and the Outer Isles cargo boat. She was sold at the end of 1968 and on 7th January the LOCH CARRON collected her at the Tail of the Bank and dropped her off at Lochmaddy the following day, to be collected by her new owner, Angus MacAskill of Berneray.
Text thanks to John MacLeod (C)
All material on this site © Ships of
CalMac 2001 - 2017, unless otherwise stated.
This site is NOT connected to the Official Company Site -
Contact Us ¦ Read our